In a ceremony held on Monday, October 22, the Franciscans of Canada joined together to form a single province. The Holy Spirit Province, which now covers the entire country, will be guided by Pierre Charland, OFM, the new Minister Provincial.
Here are the other stories that we bring you on today's episode of Perspectives Daily:
- Franciscans of Canada unite together into a single province.
- Joseph Sapati Moeono-Kolio, a synod auditor from Oceania, offers his reflections at the daily press briefing.
- Cardinal Daniel DiNardo talks to CNS about the presence of young people at the synod.
- Grotto Network provides another Voice of Synod 2018: Gonzalo Martinez.
- Cardinal Christoph Schönborn discusses the importance of keeping Christ at the centre of what we do.
- Bishop Robert Barron shares his thoughts with Salt + Light on the synodal experience so far.
Photo Credit: Holy Spirit Province, Franciscans of Canada
In addition to those, here are some of the latest Catholic news stories from around the world making headlines today:
- Young Canadian at Synod: Technology can be a tool but it’s not everything. Emilie Callan, a young Canadian auditor at the Synod of Bishops, says that young people are on social media and that the Church should be there too.
- Pope calls for new alliance between young, old to change the world. With the launch of a new book, Pope Francis is calling for a new alliance - between young and old - to change the world.
- Caritas on the frontlines during current Ebola outbreak in Congo. Caritas Congo says an ongoing Ebola outbreak in the country is worrying, after at least 211 cases have been recorded with at least 135 people dead from the disease.
- In Appalachia and Wisconsin, two approaches to the opioid crisis. In the gritty depths of the strip-mining South and in a university town in the Midwest, two Catholic sisters are working to create a future in which opioid addicts have options beyond the next fix.
- District of Columbia announces hotline to report sex abuse by clergy. On October 22, the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia announced the launch of a hotline and email address to report child sexual abuse by clergy.
- Pope names Steven Chu to Pontifical Academy of Sciences. Pope Francis appointed Steven Chu, an American Nobel-winning physicist and former secretary of energy under President Barack Obama, to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences.
That's it for today. Be sure to check in with us again tomorrow for more of the latest Catholic news and stories that you need to know.
You can always catch past episodes of Perspectives Daily
on our website listed here