Master Control / VTR Ingest Operator
REPORTS TO: MCR Supervisor
HOURS OF WORK: Freelance (15 – 30 hours a week)
Salt and Light Television, Canada’s national Catholic television station, has an immediate opening for a Master Control/ VTR Ingest Operator.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Master Control Operator performs a variety of tasks related to live, pre-recorded, studio and field production, all in support of Salt and Light’s 24x7 specialty TV channel. Primary duties include, but are not limited to, monitoring and control of the on-air automation system, monitor/troubleshoot Salt and Light TV’s outbound and inbound signals and recording/playback, ingestion and conversion of material on servers. The MCR Operator is will also ensure the transmission meets government regulations and Salt and Light TV’s high standards.
Additional responsibilities include troubleshooting equipment malfunctions and preparing programming for play out.
- Simultaneously operate all Master Control equipment
- Checks and marks daily logs to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Load/appends/configures the daily schedule/log provided by Traffic for the automation system
- Monitors and troubleshoots the automation system for proper event execution
- Performs manual switching of designated on-air events & Live Events
- Performs ingest procedure for transfer of media material into the air server
- Ensures all recordings are accomplished per daily schedule
- Monitors outbound and return program feeds to ensure quality and continuity of all broadcast signal parameters
- Prepare and check material for on-air playback via automation system
- Anticipate and troubleshoot issues when they occur
- Performs other tasks, as assigned, including, but not limited to, Broadcast technician, Audio technician, Playback operator, Content Server System operator, Transmission (TOC) operator.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and collaborative skills and the ability to work effectively, professionally, and courteously with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Performs duties on remote broadcasts, as assigned
- Adheres to Company procedures and policies, and management and supervisory directives
- 3 – 5 years in a Live Broadcast Environment
- Diploma or Degree in Radio and Television Art or equivalent experience
- Experience with Adobe Premiere PRO and Adobe Media Encoder
- Experience with Non-linear Edit software
- Familiar with al HD/SD Broadcast Codecs and Formats
- Offline & Live Closed Caption experience
- Live Control Room experience preferred
- Work well within a team environment and independently with minimal supervision
- Possess strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Computer literate and technically oriented
- Self-motivated, and a fast learner
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Exhibit a professional attitude at all times and be able to perform in a high-pressure environment
- Able to sit/stand for long periods of time
The hours for this position will vary between 15 – 30 hours per week after training is complete. This position requires the ability to work variable hours including weekends, overnights and holidays or as needed.
This is a part-time, hourly position paid at an hourly rate.
Rate will be determined based on experience.
Deadline for application: April 15, 2017
Please submit your résumé in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
and clearly identify “MCR / VTR Operator” in the subject line. We thank all applicants but only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.