The Francis Effect + Study Guide (2014)
Special edition 3 disc box set includes: feature presentation, 24-page study guide, extended interviews, special features and extras.
On February 11, 2013, Pope Benedict XVI’s resignation sent shockwaves through the Catholic Church and raised serious questions about its future direction. One month later, after only five ballots, the Cardinals elected the serene and unassuming Jorge Mario Bergoglio, Archbishop of Buenos Aires as the 266th Pope of the Catholic Church. He would be called Francis.
From the moment Pope Francis appeared on the balcony of St. Peter’s Basilica, he won the hearts of the people. His humility, simplicity and closeness to the poor reveal a man deeply in touch with the Gospel. His profile has soared. He has initiated a fundamental reform of the Roman Curia, challenged a “globalization of indifference,” and become the most talked about person in the world.
The Francis Effect takes a critical and in-depth look at how an ancient institution is rapidly changing under the leadership and vision of Pope Francis, and exclusive interviews with prominent Catholics and non-Catholics reveal that Francis is having a profound effect on the world as well.
• Scott Pelley - Host CBS News
• Msgr John Kozar - President, Catholic Near East Welfare Association
• Diane Sawyer - Host ABC News
• David Gibson - Religion News Service
• Cardinal Sean O’Malley, OFM Cap - Archbishop of Boston
• Anderson Cooper - Host AC360
• Fr. Federico Lombardi, SJ - Director, Holy See Press Office
• Fr. Thomas Rosica, CSB - English Language Assistant, Holy See Press Office
• Alison Smith - Host of CBC’s The World at Six
• Fr. Matt Malone, SJ - Editor-in-Chief, America Magazine
• Fr. James Martin, SJ - Editor-at-Large, America Magazine
• Frank Rocca - Rome Bureau Chief, Catholic News Service
• Cardinal Donald Wuerl - Archbishop of Washington
• Charles Clark - Professor of Economics, St. John’s University, NY
• Dr. Philip Berger, Jewish Doctor
• Cardinal Óscar Rodríguez Maradiaga, SDB Archbishop of Tegucigalpa, Honduras
• Cardinal Thomas Collins - Archbishop of Toronto
• Charles Chaput, OFM Cap - Archbishop of Philadelphia
• Josephine Lombardi, PhD - Professor of Theology, St. Augustine’s Seminary
• Fr. John O’Malley, SJ - Professor of Church History, Georgetown University, DC
• Frank Rocca - Rome Bureau Chief for Catholic News Service
Length: 72 minutes
* When the Blu-Ray option is selected, a separate disc of the feature film in Blu-Ray will be added to the original DVD set.