Pilgrims from Canada and all over the world have arrived in Panama for World Youth Day 2019, and we have the chance to hear all about their thoughts, emotions, and expectations for the big event.
Here are the stories that we bring you on today's episode of Perspectives Daily:
- Pope Francis meets with the Ethiopian Prime Minister.
- The Holy Father joins the "Click to Pray" app.
- Vatican News looks back on past World Youth Day events.
- CNS joins the pilgrims just arriving in Panama.
- Deacon Pedro learns about rosaries being made for World Youth Day.
- We discuss the Salt + Light team and our coverage for the week ahead.
Photo by Deacon Pedro Guevara-Mann (S+L)
In addition to those, here are some of the latest Catholic news stories from around the world making headlines today:
- A 'manifesto' at World Youth Day calls attention to environment. Young people attending World Youth Day called attention to the world's environmental problems, issuing what they called a "manifesto" for the "care of the common home."
- Panama Prequel: where in the world is the 34th Youth Day? As Panama prepares to welcome Pope Francis, Vatican News heads to Panama City to take a closer look at the country and its people.
- Inmates at Panama youth prison anticipate visit from pope. At a detention center about 25 miles away from the main events in Panama City are 144 young inmates who are unable to join the many pilgrims coming for World Youth Day, so the pontiff is going to them.
- After the Days in the Dioceses, WYD begins this evening: young people from all over the world "in search of many answers". Over 14 thousand young people took part in the "Days in the Dioceses" held in Panama and Costa Rica as they prepared for the main events of World Youth Day.
- Deeply committed to Christian unity. During this Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, the Lutheran World Federation has launched a new publication, reaffirming its ecumenical commitments in relations with Christians of other churches, including Catholics, Methodists, Anglicans, and the Reformed.
- Bishops express unity with Israeli Christians, call for their inclusion. Bishops from North America, Europe, and South Africa who joined this year's Holy Land Coordination reiterated their solidarity with all of Israel's Christians and called for their equal inclusion in Israeli society.
That's it for today. Be sure to check in with us again tomorrow for more of the latest Catholic news and stories that you need to know.
You can always catch past episodes of Perspectives Daily
on our website listed here
And for continuing coverage of World Youth Day Panama, go to wydcentral.org