Books, exercise clothes, a fully marked calendar, and a map marked and highlighted everywhere. Do you ever notice how we often pack for the best of times when we’re travelling? Whether that means overpacking or bringing items we’d never use in our daily lives, going on vacation means luggage packed with the best version of ourselves.
What if we adopted this same mindset on the road to Heaven? Just like any vacation we’re eager to embark on, we should equip ourselves with things that will make the journey and destination all the sweeter. Unlike the items that get neglected during a trip, hopefully we can still incorporate what we bring on this spiritual journey into our everyday lives.
Here’s a spiritual packing list for the road to Heaven:
- How else can you appreciate how far you’ve come if you haven’t anything to look back on? Whether you use it like a collection of love letters to yourself, as a tool for prayer, or a souvenir of gratitude, definitely write in a journal. Its empty pages are waiting to be filled with stories of hope, sorrow, joy, and honest memories of living out your cross.
- The map that will navigate you through the road ahead. May its words of prayer, poetry, and prose serve as signs and guideposts for you.
- A call to be and bring the light of Christ everywhere you go. To illuminate the darkest of times with a quiet and simple glimmer of hope.
- Your secret weapon. Our Mother Mary will comfort and console you under the mantle of her protection. A mini pilgrimage of sorts, every bead of prayer is like living through the life of Christ in your hands.
- A reminder of our baptism, this sacramental is a powerful gift of grace. From the day we were forgiven of original sin and reborn into the Body of Christ, holy water purifies and readies our hearts for the Lord’s mercy. Use it to bless yourself, your family, your home, and even your workplace.
- Your compass of hope.
Of course, with the whole world still living in the midst of a pandemic, travelling may be the last thing on your mind right now, for good reason. But if there’s anything I’ve learned in the past few months, it’s that this season of more stationary living doesn’t have to mean we stop moving, seeking, or searching.
We should seize this opportunity to look inwardly and invite Jesus into our day-to-day lives. So, pack up your bags and be on your way! The road to holiness is ready and paved for you. Our God is eager to guide you through this journey. Will you let Him?