The martyred Trappist monks of Tibhirine were beatified on Saturday alongside several other Algerians killed for their faith. The lives of these 19 religious men and women are a testament to God's plan of love and peaceful coexistence between Christians and Muslims, Pope Francis said. The life and death of the monks was the subject of the movie Of Gods and Men
, which won the grand prize at its premiere during the Cannes Film Festival in 2010.
Here are the stories that we bring you on today's episode of Perspectives Daily:
- Pope Francis teaches about "conversion" in his Angelus address.
- Holy Father visits health centres for "Mercy Friday".
- Sand Nativity unveiled and Christmas tree lit in St. Peter's Square.
- Pope prays for Rome during Immaculate Conception ceremony.
- Canadian bishops sit down with Pope Francis.
- 19 Algerian martyrs beatified during special Mass on Saturday.
(CNS photo/Sony Pictures Classics)
In addition to those, here are some of the latest Catholic news stories from around the world making headlines today:
That's it for today. Be sure to check in with us again tomorrow for more of the latest Catholic news and stories that you need to know.
You can always catch past episodes of Perspectives Daily
on our website listed here