On January 15, the Center on Religion and Culture at Fordham University will be hosting "The Future of Women Deacons", a symposium on the Papal Study Commission on the Diaconate of Women in which members will speak publicly for the first time since Pope Francis created the Commission in 2016. The event can be viewed streaming live on our website
beginning at 6:00 pm.
Here are the stories that we bring you on today's episode of Perspectives Daily:
- Pope Francis baptizes 27 babies in the Sistine Chapel.
- On the Baptism of the Lord, the Holy Father reminds the Angelus crowd about the importance of their baptism.
- Toronto Chinese Catholic Task-Force helps run university stem cell drives.
- Fordham's Center on Religion and Culture is hosting "Future of Women Deacons" symposium on Tuesday.
Phyllis Zagano, who will speak at Fordham University, is one of six women appointed by Pope Francis to the Study Commission on the Women's Diaconate. (CNS photo/Gregory A. Shemitz)
In addition to those, here are some of the latest Catholic news stories from around the world making headlines today:
- Bishops call Venezuelan leader’s new term 'illegitimate,' 'morally unacceptable'. As Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro prepares to begin a second term, the country’s bishops have criticized the serious humanitarian crisis unfolding under the government’s watch.
- 9 Days for Life. In the lead up to the annual March for Life in Washington, DC, the bishops of the USCCB initiate "9 Days for Life", a multi-faceted novena for the respect and protection of every human life.
- Filipinos hold pre-poll prayer rally, unity walk. Thousands of Filipino voters turned out for a "unity walk" and "interfaith prayer rally" aimed at calling for "safe and peaceful elections" in the Philippines this year.
- Pope's preacher goes back to basics in talks to bishops. The texts of the eleven talks delivered to the U.S. bishops who recently gathered for a week-long retreat put emphasis on themes that include a defense of celibacy, criticism of attachment to money, and endorsing new lay movements.
- India’s Latin-rite bishops create 2 new commissions. The Conference of Catholic Bishops of India concluded their plenary assembly, establishing the new Commissions for Ecology and Small Christian Communities.
- Justice is the central theme for Week of Prayer. "Justice, and only justice, you shall pursue" is the theme chosen by the ecumenical team from Indonesia for the 111th annual Week of Prayer for Christian Unity.
That's it for today. Be sure to check in with us again tomorrow for more of the latest Catholic news and stories that you need to know.
You can always catch past episodes of Perspectives Daily
on our website listed here