The Holy See will send a delegation of cardinals to Syria in the next few days to witness the suffering of Syrians in Damascus.
The announcement was made October 16 during the afternoon session of the Synod of Bishops on the New Evangelization for the transmission of the faith.
At the beginning of the session the Cardinal Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone read a message saying the Synod Fathers are "Certain that the solution to the crisis cannot be but political " and they want to express their solidarity with the people of Syria.
The delegation will be made up of seven prelates:
-Cardinal Laurent Mosengwo Pasinya, Archbishop of Kinshasa
- Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, President of Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue
- Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York
- Bishop Fabio Suescun Mutis, Military Ordinary of Colombia
- Bishop Joseph Nguyen Nang, of Phat Diem, Vietnam
- Archbishop Dominique Mamberti, Secretary for Relations with States of the Secretariat of State
-Monsignor Alberto Ortega, Official of the Secretariat of State
Cardinal Bertone said the delegation was expected to leave for Syria next week, once the necessary arrangements had been made with the Apostolic Nuncio to Syria and the local authorities.
To read the full text of the announcement on the Vatican website, click here
Syrian refugees walk through a Za'atri refugee camp in Jordan.
Photo courtesy of Catholic News Service