Christmas Midnight Mass
with Most Reverend Douglas Crosby, OMI
From the Cathedral Basilica of Christ the King, Hamilton
Salt + Light is proud to bring you LIVE on cable television and via our live-stream the Christmas Midnight Mass at the Cathedral Basilica of Christ the King which will be celebrated by Most Reverend Bishop Douglas Crosby, OMI, Bishop of Hamilton, on December 24, 2016.
December 24th, 2016
Carols from the Cathedral at 11:30pm ET / 8:30 pm PT
Midnight Mass at 12am ET / 9pm PT
The Cathedral Basilica of Christ the King
714 King Street West
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 1C7
About Bishop Douglas Crosby
Bishop Douglas Crosby, OMI, appointed Bishop of Hamilton on September 24, 2010 and installed as the 9th Bishop at the Cathedral Basilica of Christ the King on November 8, 2010. Bishop Crosby currently serves as President of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops
. His collaborative approach to ministry is summarized in his Episcopal motto, Trahe Nos, (Draw Us).
Before coming to Hamilton, Bishop Crosby served as Bishop of Labrador City-Schefferville and then the newly formed Diocese of Corner Brook & Labrador in Eastern Newfoundland. The Diocese of Hamilton is the second largest English Diocese in Canada with 126 Parishes serving more than 640,000 Catholics. Several large and vibrant urban centers make up the Diocese including Hamilton, Halton, Kitchener-Waterloo and Guelph. The Diocese of Hamilton includes a large rural area in Bruce-Grey. [read more]
Carols from the Cathedral
11:30pm ET / 8:30pm PT
For unto us a Child is born (Choir)
Harp & flute
What Child is This?
CBW 338 (Choir & Assembly)
Rosa Mystica (Choir)
Harp & flute
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear (Choir)
Angels we have heard on high
CBW 320 (Choir & Assembly)
Reverend David A. Wynen, Rector
Other attending Priests
Reverend Mr. David Avila
Ministers of the Word
Family presenting Christ child
Bo & Francesca Smith (new baby Troy)
Tim & Maria Hogan and family
Robert Corso, Organist & Choir Director
Cathedral Basilica Choir
Sandra Gould, Cantor
Celina Fresco, Christmas Proclamation
Trumpet, timpani, harp & flute
Ministers of Hospitality
About the Cathedral Basilica of Christ the King
In 1930 construction began under the direction of the Most Reverend John T. McNally, Fifth Bishop of Hamilton. Fine materials, craftspeople and artisans from around the world contributed to the design and construction of this magnificent Church. The Cathedral was opened on December 19th, 1933 with the Very Reverend Joseph F. Ryan as its first Rector. In 1937 Bishop McNally was appointed the Archbishop of Halifax and Father Ryan was named the Sixth (and longest serving) Bishop of Hamilton.
One of Bishop McNally’s dreams for the Cathedral was fulfilled on February 25th, 2013 as Pope Benedict XVI raised the Cathedral to the status of a minor Basilica. Known now as the “Cathedral Basilica of Christ the King” it continues to serve as the focal point of the spir- itual and liturgical life of the Diocese of Hamilton.
The Cathedral Basilica measures 235 feet in length and 72 feet in width. The exterior of the Cathedral is stately, solid and serene. It is built of limestone quarried in Indiana, USA and Georgetown, Ontario. After a devastating fire in 1981, the Cathedral was refurbished and solemnly dedicated by the Most Reverend Paul F. Reding, 7th Bishop of Hamilton, on the Solemnity of Christ the King, November 21st, 1982.
Upon entering the Cathedral Basilica one’s eye is drawn immediately to the magnificent sanctuary with its marble floors and beau ‐ ful woodwork. In the Sanctuary one finds the Altar made of Carrara marble from Italy. On the West side you see the Ambo from which the Word of God is proclaimed during Mass. On the East side is the Presider’s Chair ... when the presiding priest is not the Bish‐ op. The Bishop’s chair—or cathedra—is located in the centre of the Sanctuary. The cathedra is surrounded by the presbyterium or sea ng for the priests. Under the canopy or ciborium is the Tabernacle. A securely locked “house” for the reserva on of the Blessed Sacrament. The windows in the apse represent the joyful, sorrowful, and glorious mysteries of the rosary.
The west side of the sanctuary is where one finds the Bap smal Font. It sits below a pain ng of Christ’s triumphal arrival in Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. The east side of the Sanctuary houses the Marian Shrine with a mosaic of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Above the mosaic is a painting of the newborn King being adored by the Magi with their gi s of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
Learn more at the Cathedral Basilica of Christ the King Website